In the fall of 1916, a group of prominent Guilford county
residents convened to discuss the need for a "plan to combat
tuberculosis." On December 20, 1921 voters approved a $100,000 bond
issue to build the Guilford County Tuberculosis Sanatorium. The
sanatorium opened its doors in 1924.
The combined practices of secluding those with the illness from
the general population and an increase in cleanliness practices
dramatically reduced both the cases of tuberculosis contracted and
the deadliness of the illness and the sanatorium closed its doors
In 1957, a proposal for a local Industrial Education Center was
sent to Guilford County Commissioners to fill the need for
industrial training. The Board of Education approved the proposal
for the center at Jamestown and the sanatorium facilities were
allocated by County Commissioners in 1958. Ed Kemp was appointed as
Chairman and Bruce B. Roberts was named the first Director of the
Guilford Industrial Education Center and what is now known as GTCC
was born. The newly dubbed GIEC began the fall semester with 42
students enrolled in classes and ended with 593 students due to new
programs added to the curriculum.
The 1960s brought about more change for the fledgling college.
In 1963 control of the industrial education centers was shifted to
the Department of Community Colleges.
Local control was vested in an eight-member Board of Trustees.
In 1965 Dr. Herbert F. Marco was appointed as the first president
of Guilford Technical Institute and the newly named college was
vested with the authority to grant the Associate in Applied
Sciences Degree. The first student to receive an Associate in
Applied Science degree from GTI was Mrs. Virginia Bangiola of High
Point in 1966 and the first graduation ceremony was held on June
That same year the college's second president, Dr. Luther R.
Medlin was named. Other events of interest in the 1960s included;
the first issue of the college yearbook was published, GTI's first
basketball team the Green Hornets was formed and the college's
first Adult Education classes were offered. The 1960s closed with
GTI becoming a member of the Southern Association of Colleges and
Schools and launching a new program in Aviation Technology.
The 70s weren't quite as eventful;
however, the college continued to grow. The Council on Dental
Education of the American Dental Association announced an
accreditation of dental programs and a county-wide bond referendum
appropriated $3 million to GTI for construction projects. A hangar
was leased from the Piedmont Triad Airport and the Guilford
College's downtown campus was purchased so the college could
expand. This time also saw the third and fourth college presidents
come and go.
The 1980s opened with the fifth
president and continued growth. The State Board of Education
approved the request of the college to add a college transfer
program at GTI. In 1983 GTI celebrated its 25th birthday. Shortly
thereafter the name of the college was changed to Guilford
Technical Community College to reflect the newly of fered
In 1991 Dr. Donald W. Cameron was appointed the 6th President of
GTCC. Ciba donated $225,000 to GTCC's Tech Prep Program in November
1994 and a National Science Foundation grant to bring Internet
access to the college was received in 1995. Also in 1995 the State
Board of Community Colleges approved a proposal to convert NC
Community College System to semester system which was implemented
during the Fall Semester of 1997.
The next two years were ones of growth with the Percy H. Sears
Applied Technologies Center dedicated and Cline Observatory opened.
In 1999 the Koury Corporation donated the largest gift ever made to
GTCC- $500,000. Later that year the Koury Hospitality Careers
Center was dedicated in appreciation of the corporation. The first
School of Entertainment Technology in North Carolina offered by a
community college was also established in 1999.
In 2000, the newly renovated Williams Health Careers Building for
nursing and medical assisting programs was dedicated. The Gladys S.
Sears Endowed Teaching Chair in Business Technology was established
and the High Point Campus Gatlin Entertainment Technology Building
opened in 2003. GTCC premiered its new athletic program in 2006
with men's basketball and women's volleyball. The student body
chose the Titan as the school mascot after weeks of voting. The
department of E-learning was established to fill a need in 2007.
The year 2008 was a big one with the college celebrating its 50th
anniversary. Growth continued in other areas as well in 2008 with
the athletics program introducing women's basketball and baseball
to the roster of sports.
On June 8, 2009, GTCC and the City
of High Point unveiled the historical marker shown above at the
site of the first GTCC Campus in High Point. The building that held
the classes in 1955 still stands today along English Road.