State Authorization, Complaints, and Professional Licensure

State Authorization

U.S. Department of Education regulation 600.9(c) requires that if an institution is offering distance education in a state where it is not physically located, the institution must meet individual state requirements for offering distance education to students within that state.

Guilford Technical Community College has been approved to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA). As a result, GTCC is authorized to offer online courses to students in states and territories that participate in NC-SARA, which includes all states except California and also includes Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Complaint Process

U.S. Department of Education regulations require GTCC to provide students with contact information for filing complaints at various levels.

GTCC faculty and staff attempt, in good faith, to resolve complaints and problems as they arise. However, if a matter remains unresolved, the purpose of the Complaint procedure is to provide a process for resolving student complaints. This procedure applies to all student complaints, including but not limited to academic issues, student services or administrative concerns, or matters involving any form of discrimination or harassment. To file a complaint, submit a General Complaints form online.

If you have questions about GTCC's complaint process, please contact:

General Complaints Form
Student Grievance Procedure

Students also may file a complaint at the state level or with GTCC's accrediting agency. Information about these complaint options is listed below. In most cases, the student is required to exhaust all complaint avenues by using the college’s internal procedure before a complaint can be filed at the state or accrediting agency level. As such, students are advised to first attempt to resolve complaints with GTCC using the College General Complaints form.

NC Office of Post-Secondary Education Complaint Process

Students located in North Carolina may file a complaint with the North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints unit. First review the NC Post-Secondary Student Complaint Policy (PDF). Then print and complete the NC Post-Secondary Education Student Complaint Form and submit the complaint to:

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Student Complaints
University of North Carolina System Office
910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688
Telephone: 919-962-4550

State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement-North Carolina (SARA-NC) Complaint Process

Students located outside North Carolina may file a complaint with SARA-NC. Students should follow the SARA-NC Complaint process and use the SARA-NC Complaint Form.

SARA-NC Contact Information:
Terrence R. Scarborough, M.P.A. - Director of SARA North Carolina
SARA North Carolina
North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority
P.O. Box 14103
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Telephone: 929-248-4667

Additional resources for students located outside North Carolina:

SACSCOC Student Complaint Process

Guilford Technical Community College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). For information on filing a complaint with this body, students should consult the SACSCOC Complaint Procedures (PDF). Complaints may be filed with the Commission only if there is evidence that appears to support significant non-compliance with a SACSCOC requirement or standard by GTCC. The contact information for SACSCOC is:

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097
Telephone: 404-679-4500

Professional Licensure and Certification

Certain areas of study at GTCC prepare students to sit for licensure or certification examinations that are required to work in North Carolina. If you plan to work outside of North Carolina, below is information to help you determine if GTCC's curriculum will meet educational requirements for licensure or certification in other states. Also see Professional Licensing Board Contacts by State (PDF) for more information.

Note: Each document linked below includes the name of a contact person for the program along with email address and phone number. The mailing address for each contact person is c/o Guilford Technical Community College, 601 E Main St., Jamestown NC 27282.