Complaint Assistance for Online Students

GTCC is dedicated to resolving student complaint in a timely, fair, and amicable manner.  Online students attending GTCC who would like to resolve a Grade Related or Non-Grade Related Complaint should follow the Student Complaint process. After students have read the Institutional Student Complaint Policy, they will complete the  Grade-Related Complaint Form or the  Non-Grade Related Complaint Form. Students who wish to file an appeal for an Academic Integrity violation should follow the Academic Integrity process and complete the  Student Academic Integrity Report Form. If assistance with either process is needed, Online students should contact the Director of eLearning. Documents may need to be printed, signed, emailed or faxed. These documents can be sent to the eLearning contact listed below who will confirm their receipt within 2 business days and ensure that the completed forms reach the appropriate person.

Shelia May, Vice President, Associate, Instruction 
Phone: 336-334-4822 Ext. 50079 
Monday-Friday: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm EST

How to File a Complaint

  1. GTCC strives to resolve student complaints in an expeditious and fair manner. Students should use the forms provided above to locate the appropriate form and process for his/her complaint.

  2. GTCC is a member of the North Carolina Community College System (NCCCS). If a complaint cannot be resolved through the institution’s complaint process, students may file a complaint with the University of North Carolina System Office. NC Post-Secondary Education Student Complaint Process (PDF), print and complete NC Post-Secondary Education Complaint Form (PDF) and submit the complaint to:

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Student Complaints          `
University of North Carolina System Office
910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688
Telephone: (919) 962-4550
Website: North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints

  1. If a student has evidence of an institution’s non-compliance with SACSCOC standards, policies, and procedures, the next step would be to file a complaint with Guilford Technical Community College’s accrediting agency. GTCC is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate degrees, diplomas, and certificates. Students who file a complaint with the accrediting agency should follow the SACSCOC Complaint Procedure. The contact information for SACS is:

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges

1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097
Telephone: (404) 679-4500
Website: The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
  1. If an issue cannot be resolved internally, students may also file a complaint with his/her home state. Find your home state’s complaint process in the listing below. Students may also file a complaint through SARA NC. SARA North Carolina is a program of the North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority. SARA-NC Complaint Process (click here) and Complaint Form (click here).

SARA North Carolina
North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority          `
P.O. Box 14103
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Telephone:  (855) SARA-1-NC (727-2162)
Telephone:  (919) 549-8614, ext. 4667
Website: SARANC

Types of Complaints

Grade-related complaints must be initiated within 15 days of the start of the subsequent semester.  Students with a grade-related complaint should first discuss the issue with the instructor of the course.  If a satisfactory resolution is not reached and you desire to file an appeal, you should contact the Department Chair or the Director of eLearning for assistance.  The Student Complaint Grade-Related Appeal form must be completed and submitted.  The student must complete a Student Complaint Grade Related Appeal Form.

No grade related complaint must be initiated within 30 days of the negative action or decision to the responsible administrator.  If you are an at-a-distance student and would like assistance with the process, you should contact the Director of eLearning.  The student must complete a Student Complaint Non-Grade Related Appeal Form.

Students who wish to appeal an academic integrity violation should first discuss the issue with the instructor of the course.  If a satisfactory resolution is not reached and you desire to file an appeal, you should contact the Department Chair or the Director of eLearning for assistance.  The Academic Integrity Appeal form must be completed and submitted.  The student must complete an Academic Integrity Report Form.

If you are not satisfied with the resolution through GTCC’s process, you can file a complaint with your home state of residency.  The Student Complaint Contact Information for the Individual States provides phone numbers, emails, and/or links to state education agencies.



Contact information


Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education

P.O. Box 302000
Montgomery, AL 36130-2000
Telephone: 334-242-1998
Fax: 334-242-0268

Complaint Process


Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education

P.O. Box 110505
Juneau, AK 99811‐0505

Complaint Process


Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education

1400 W. Washington St.
Phoenix, AZ 85007

Complaint Form


Arkansas Department of Higher Education

423 Main St., Suite 400
Little Rock, AR 72201

Complaint Form


Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education

P.O. Box 980818
W. Sacramento, CA 95798‐0818

Complaint Form


Colorado Department of Higher Education

1560 Broadway, Suite 1600
Denver, CO 80202

Complaint Process


Office of Higher Education

61 Woodland Street
Hartford, CT 06105‐2326
Telephone: 860-947-1822

Complaint Process


Delaware Department of Education

Delaware  Higher Education Office
Teacher and Administrator Quality
John W. Collette Resource Center
35 Commerce Way
Dover, DE 19904
Telephone: 302-857-3388

Complaint Process

District of Columbia

District of Columbia Education Licensure Commission

810 First Street, NE 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20002

Complaint Process


Florida Department of Education

Commission for Independent Education
325 W. Gaines Street, Suite 1414
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0400
Fax: 850-245-3238

Complaint Process


Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission

2082 East Exchange Place, Suite 220
Tucker, GA 30084-5305
Telephone:  770-414-3300
Fax:  770-414-3309

Complaint Process


Hawaii Post-secondary Education Authorization Program

P.O. Box 541
Honolulu, HI 96809

Complaint Form


Idaho Board of Education

650 West State Street
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720‐0037
Telephone: 208-334-2270
Fax: 208-334-2632

Complaint Process


Illinois Board of Higher Education

1 N Old State Capitol Plaza, Suite 333
Springfield, IL 62701-1377
Institutional Complaint Hotline:

Complaint Process


Indiana Board for Proprietary Education

Telephone: 317-464-4400

Complaint Process


Iowa College Student Aid Commission

430 East Grand Ave.
5th Floor
Des Moines, IA 50309-1920
Telephone: 515-725-3400

Complaint Process


Kansas Board of Regents

1000 SW Jackson Street, Suite 520
Topeka, KS 66612‐1368
Telephone:  785-296-3421

Complaint Process


Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education

Director of Postsecondary Licensing
Council on Postsecondary Education
1024 Capitol Center Dr.
Suite 320
Frankfort, KY 40601

Complaint Process


Louisiana Board of Regents

Consumer Protection Division
Office of the Attorney General

Consumer Protection Division
Office of the Attorney General
P.O. Box 94005
Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9005
Telephone: 1-800-351-4889

Complaint Process


State of Maine
Department of Education

23 State House Station
Augusta, Maine, 04333-0023

Complaint Form


Maryland Higher Education Commission

Office of the Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division
200 St. Paul Place
Baltimore, MD 21202

Complaint Process


Massachusetts Board of Higher Education

One Ashburton Place
Room 1401
Boston, MA 02108

Complaint Process


State of Michigan

Department of Licensing & Regulatory Affairs
Corporations, Securities & Commercial Licensing Bureau
Administrative Services Section-Complaint Intake
P.O. Box 30018
Lansing, MI 48909

Complaint Form


Registration & Licensing
Minnesota Office of Higher Education

1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350
St. Paul, MN 55108
Telephone: 1-800-657-3866

Complaint Process


Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation

3825 Ridgewood Road
Jackson, MS 39211-6453
Telephone: 601-432-6372
Fax: 601-432-6225

Complaint Process


Missouri Department of Higher Education

205 Jefferson Street
P.O. Box 1469
Jefferson City, MO 65102‐1469
Telephone: 1-800-473-6757
Fax: 573-751-6635

Complaint Info


Montana University System
Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education

2500 Broadway
P.O. Box 203201
Helena, MT 59620-3201
Telephone: 406-444-6570

Complaint Process


Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education

P.O. Box 95005
Lincoln, NE 68509-5005
Telephone: 402-471-2847

Filing a Complaint


Nevada Commission on Postsecondary Education

8778 South Maryland Parkway, Suite 115
Las Vegas, NV 89123

Filing a Complaint

New Hampshire

New Hampshire Department of Education, Division of Higher Education, Higher Education

101 Pleasant Street
Concord, NH 03301
Telephone: 603-271-3494

Filing a Complaint

New Jersey

New Jersey Secretary of Higher Education

20 West State Street, 4th Floor
P.O. Box 542
Trenton, NJ 08625-0542
Telephone: 609-292-7225

Complaint Process

New Mexico

New Mexico Higher Education Department

2044 Galisteo St., Suite 4
Santa Fe, NM  87505
Telephone: 505-476-8400

Complaint Form

New York

Office of College and University Evaluation
New York State Education Department

89 Washington Ave., Room 969 EBA
Albany,  NY 12234
Telephone: 518-474-1551
Fax: 518-486-2779

Filing a Complaint

North Carolina

University of North Carolina General Administration

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints c/o Student Complaints.
University of North Carolina General Administration
910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688

Complaint process

North Dakota

Director of Distance Education & State Authorization

600 East Capital Ave.
Bismarck, ND 58501-1217
Telephone: 701‐328‐2678

Filing a Complaint


Ohio Department of Higher Education

25 South Front Street
Columbus, OH 43215
Telephone: 614-466-6000

Filing a Complaint


Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education

655 Research Parkway, Suite 200
Oklahoma City, OK 73104
Telephone: 405-225-9100

Complaint Process


Higher Education Coordinating Commission

ATTN: Complaints-ODA
775 Court St. NE
Salem, OR 97301
Telephone: 503-947-5716

Complaint Form


Bureau of Postsecondary & Adult Education
Pennsylvania Department of Education

333 Market Street, 12th Floor
Harrisburg, PA 17126‐0333

Complaint Form

Puerto Rico

Puerto Rico Council on Higher Education

P.O. Box 19900
San Juan, PR 00910-1900
Telephone: 787-641-7100
Fax: 787-641-2573

Complaint Process

Rhode Island

Commissioner of Higher Education
Rhode Island Office of Higher Education

Shepard Building, Suite 524
80 Washington Street
Providence, RI 02903
Telephone: 401-456-6008

Complaint Process

South Carolina

South Carolina Commission on Higher Education
Academic Affairs & Licensing

1122 Lady St., Suite 300
Columbia, SC 29201
Telephone: 803-737-2260
Fax: 803-737-2297

Complaint Form

South Dakota

South Dakota Board of Regents

306 E. Capitol Ave., Suite 200
Pierre, SD 57501

Complaint Form


Tennessee Higher Education Commission

Division of Postsecondary State Authorization
404 James Robertson Parkway, Suite 1900
Nashville, TN 37243
Telephone: 615-741-3605



Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board

College Readiness & Success Division
P.O. Box 12788
Austin, TX 78711-2788
Telephone: 512-427-6101

Complaint Process


Utah Division of Consumer Protection

Complaint Process


Vermont Department of Education

120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05620‐2501
Telephone: 802-828-3135

Complaint Process


Virginia State Council of Higher Education

101 N. 14th St., 10th Floor
James Monroe Bldg.
Richmond, VA 23219
Telephone: 804-225-2600

Complaint Process


Washington Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board

Complaint Process

West Virginia

West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission
Community & Technical College System of West Virginia

1018 Kanawha Blvd. East, Suite 700
Charleston, WV 25301
Telephone: 304-558-4016

Complaint Process


Wisconsin Educational Approval Board

Complaint Process


Wyoming Department of Education

Hathaway  Building, 2nd Floor
2300 Capitol Avenue
Cheyenne,  WY 82002‐0050

Complaint Form

Guilford Technical Community College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. If you wish to file a complaint with the association that governs GTCC’s accreditation, please see the following link for specific information on criteria for filing a complaint with SACSCOC: Complaint Policy