The Veterans Resource Center (VRC) helps students find resources to be successful in school. At the center, veterans can:

  • Apply for and receive VA educational benefits to pay for college
  • Study and network with other veterans
  • Use computers, pick up resource literature, enjoy comfortable seating, and relax in the lounge area.

The VRC is in Medlin Campus Center, Room 2401. Stop in for a cup of coffee, use our computer lab, and meet and socialize with other military members attending GTCC.

Required Enrollment Forms

Required forms must be completed each semester.

Please complete the required enrollment forms and return it to the VA Office in person (Medlin Campus Center Room 2401), by email at, or mail it to:

ATTN: GTCC Veterans Affairs Office
PO Box 309
601 E. Main St
Jamestown, NC 27282

For questions, please contact:


Steps to a Successful Veterans Experience

Get important steps to apply, receive, and maintain eligibility to receive VA educational benefits to attend GTCC.


Important Information You Need to Know

Rules and procedures that impact the amount of VA education benefits you received.
Learn More

Apply for Educational Benefits

Resources to assist you with applying and receiving VA educational benefits.

Learn More

Student Veterans Association

The VRC is the home of the Student Veterans Association (SVA) which meets weekly at noon on Wednesdays. SVA gives veterans, their dependents, and civilians a community to:

  • look for scholarships
  • form study groups
  • share military information
  • develop friendships

The SVA can be:

  • a support group for veterans dealing with readjustment to civilian life after a deployment
  • available for spousal support of deployed or returned veterans
  • a source of information for all branches of the military and VA benefits
  • a place that offers opportunities to volunteer and participate in nonprofit organizations that help to strengthen our surrounding communities and ourselves

Frequently Asked Questions

Eligibility criteria are complex. The following statements are general snippets about eligibility criteria. Students must file an application with the VA, so they can determine if they are eligible and the conditions of their eligibility.

  • Post-9/11 GI-Bill® – (Chapter 33)
    • Served on active duty for at least 90 aggregate days on or after 09/11/2001 or discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. Must waive all other educational benefits. Benefits may be transferable to spouses and children. (Complete VA Form 22-1990 (Veteran) or VA Form 22-1990E for dependents).
  • Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty – (Chapter 30) – (Contributed $1200.00 while on Active Duty)
    • (Up to 36 months of education benefits) Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty. (Complete VA Form 22-1990)
  • Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserve – (Chapter 1606)
    • The MGIB-SR program may be available if you are a member of the Selected Reserve/National Guard. (Complete VA Form 22-1990).
  • Dependents Educational Assistance Program – DEA (Chapter 35)
    • Dependents’ Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 36 months of education benefits. (Complete VA form 22-5490)
  • Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program –Voc. Rehab (Chapter 31)
    • Helps veterans with service-connected disabilities prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs through educational opportunities. Contact the VA State Regional Office for an appointment.
  • North Carolina Scholarship for Children of Wartime Veterans
    • Scholarships may be available for children of certain deceased, disabled, or POW/MIA Veterans. This program is provided by the State of North Carolina and is not a federal program.
  • TA Educational Assistance Program (Tuition Assistance)
    • Tuition Assistance may be provided to eligible Active Duty and Reserve members through their respective military units, Federal or State.
    • Need more information? Go to or call: 1-888-442-4551

Apply for Tuition Assistance (TA)

Students must first create an account on their TA service portal and gain approval from their service branch. Click on the appropriate branch of service below for more information and links to apply for TA:

You will want to begin the process at least 60 days in advance of the term start date to ensure a smooth application process.

Remember, every TA application MUST be Command Approved before being forwarded to the Voluntary Education Center for final approval. And Command Approval is not automatic. Please contact your command approver for the status before the start of classes. The TA application must be approved before the start date.

Following Command Approval, you will receive an email notification that your application has been sent to the Voluntary Education Center for final review and authorization. Once the TA application is funded, the service member will receive an email notification.

Admission to GTCC

Once you establish your tuition assistance portal account, the next step is to complete the GTCC Admission process. This process has been developed in a series of steps called the “Path to Success” (follow the link to complete the steps) for both new and reapplying students.

Submit Approved Payment Voucher to GTCC

The service member must print their voucher from their TA approval email and submit the voucher to GTCC’s Cashier's Office to process payment.

Final Things to Remember

In Accordance with Department of Defense Instruction (DODI), all schools desiring to participate in the Military Assistance (TA) Program must agree to:

  1. Up to the start date, return all (100%) TA funds to the appropriate Military Service when the Service member does not:
    • Begin attendance at the institution; or
    • Start a course, regardless of whether the student starts other courses.
  2. Return any unearned TA funds on a proportional basis through at least the 60 percent portion of the period for which the funds were provided. TA funds are earned proportionally during an enrollment period, with unearned funds returned based on when a student stops attending. In instances when a service member stops attending because of a military service obligation, GTCC will work with the affected service member to identify solutions that will not result in student debt for the returned portion.

Veterans and dependents qualify for in-state residency after initial classification of out-of-state. Isakson and Roe section 1005, requires any beneficiaries residing in-state shall be charged in-state tuition regardless of when they were discharged from the military. This takes effect Aug. 1, 2021. Documentation showing military affiliation may be requested.