Academic Success Classes (ACA)

The transition from high school to college can be difficult. ACA courses will teach you the skills you need to succeed in college and at work.

If you’re new to college, need a refresher after a long break from school, or are majoring in certain career and technical programs, you’ll want to take ACA-111, College Student Success, during your first semester at GTCC, where you’ll learn tricks for time management, note-taking, study skills, and more.

If you’re transferring to a four-year university, ACA-122, College Transfer Success, will help you develop academic and professional goals, as well as create a transfer plan. Take ACA-122 in your first semester.

Frequently Asked Questions

ACA-111 is required by four programs: Aviation Management and Career Pilot Technology, Paralegal Technology, Emergency Medical Science, and the Welding Technology Certificate.

Anyone transferring to a 4-year college or university needs to take ACA-122 in their first semester. Each university in the North Carolina system has different course requirements for the first two years of college, so one purpose of ACA-122 is for students to determine what classes they need to take at GTCC in order to transfer to a university with junior standing.

Note that ACA-111 will not substitute for ACA-122.

The North Carolina University System has a page with more information for transfer students, including links to all of the 4-year college and university baccalaureate degree plans (BDP's) and transfer 4-year guides.  Visit the NC Community College Transfer page for more information.